By Igor Solovey

Previous page - Next Page

Name Thumb image (if availible) Description
Ascention square

On the background is the Bernardine Monastery ensemble.
Market Square

Bernardine Monastery

It was built in the early XVII century by Latin middle class. Initially the construction was conducted in the manner of North Italian Renaissance by italian architect Pavlo Rymlianyn and his apprentice Amvrosij Prychylny. It was finished by Andrew Bemmer from Wroclaw.
Lviv Opera Theatre

Built in 1900 (during the Austrian rule) by architect Z. Gorgolevsky it became one of the most wonderful buildings in the Eastern Europe with it paintings and luxurious guilded interior decorations. Many famous singers like Solomia Crushelnytska were performing here.
Lviv Panorama

Dominican Cathedral

Hlynianska Vezha

The part of the defence wall containing the southern gate of medieval Lviv, built in the 16th century.
Armenian Church

This shows the bell tower of the Armenian church and the general perspective of Armenian Street. In the middle ages, this was the centre
of the local Armenian community. The tower was built in the middle of the 16th century.The church itself was built in the 13th century and is one of the oldest buildings in the city.
Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel is situated along Svoboda Avenue,
opposite the Shevchenko monument.
Adam Mitzkevicz Monument

This monument to Adam Mickiewicz, the leading 19th Century poet of Polish Romanticism, was erected in 1905 here in Mitskevycha Square.
Taras Shevchenko Avenue

The general perspective of Taras Shevchenko Avenue(formerly Akademichna Street), one of the central streets of Lviv. The buildings were renovated in 1997 and give a good impression of Lviv's former secession grandeur.
St. Elizabeth Church

The church of St Elizabeth was built in 1905 on the occasion of the Austrian Kaizer Franz Joseph's visit. It was named after the late Kaizer's wife, Elizabeth.
St. Mary Magdalena Church

The church of St Mary Magdalena was built at the end of the 17th century. It once was a monastery church but there is no church activity there now and it is used as an organ hall.

This is the top of the well in the yard of Bernardine Monastery..
The statue of St Bernard is on the top of the pergola.
Previous page - Next Page

©Igor Solovey, 2000. All rights reserved